Start Karting in Malaysia

Last updated: May 2014

If you’re interested in getting started in race karting in Malaysia this page aims to provide you with all the necessary information. We always recommend that in order to get a proper feel for the racing scene you should always visit a race event and talk to the drivers, teams, and organisers.

You don’t need to get a racing license in order to race. You can buy a kart and practice before getting a racing license. You only need to worry about a license once you are ready to join a sanctioned race series. It’s a good idea to get a few months of practice before joining race events in order to make your first racing experience an enjoyable one.

Karting in Malaysia is centered in the Klang Valley region where almost all kart shops/teams are based, and most races take part. If you live in another part of the country you will need to travel a fair bit to take part in the sanctioned race series’.

This guide is divided into the following sections:

Karting Series Overview

One of the best ways to find the details of a racing series is to download the regulations and read through them.

Karting Schools

A great way to get your first laps in a race kart is with an experienced karting coach to help you speed up your learning curve and avoid learning bad habits. In Malaysia a few of the teams have drivers that are capable of proper driver training. A shameless plug for the creater of – Mikko Nassi. He’s been coaching drivers of different levels ranging from beginners to drivers with years of experience in kart racing.

You can get driver training in your own kart, or rent a kart from a racing school/team. Mikko Nassi coaches at the Stratos Kart Racing School.  If you have your own kart and would like private coaching email

Rotax Max Challenge Malaysia

The most prominent racing series in Malaysia is the Rotax Max Challenge. The events are held in conjunction with the Rotax Max Challenge Asia series which brings a fair bit of foreign competitors to the grid. The series awards the champions with a trip to the Grand Finals where champions from around the world compete to determine the overall champion. It is a one-make series, meaning that the engine and tyres used have to be of a specific brand (Rotax and Mojo). The events have 4 categories: MicroMax (8-12 years old), Junior (13-16 years old), Senior (15+), DD2 (15+). The DD2 category has a separate “Masters DD2” category for drivers above 32. In Malaysia the RMC series is run over 6 rounds, often with one or two other “Invitational” events which are not part of the main championship. The official website for the series is

KKS Malaysian Karting Championship

The KKS Malaysian Championship awards the official title of “Malaysian Champion” – but the events are a fair bit smaller than the RMC series for example. The races are at typically run at Speedway PLUS and Sepang. Categories available include Rotax Junior, Senior, and MicroMax – along with Yamaha Junior.

All Stars Karting Malaysia

The All Stars Karting Malaysia series has KF2 (15+), KF3 (13-16), a one-make “Sonik” category (15+), and a Yamaha Junior (13-16) category. In 2012 there was an “ASK Invitational” at the start of the year. The 2012 calendar has not been released yet (as of April).

    Click on the event name for more details such as the location. The above are the upcoming races as taken from’s karting calendar – all races are added as we receive the information. Before travelling to an event you should always check the official series website to ensure that an event date or venue hasn’t been changed.

    Non-Sanctioned Racing

    If you aren’t prepared to get your own kart yet and just want to get a feel for kart racing without the initial expenses, a great way to do it is in some of the well organised “hobby-karter” series’ that are organised usually on a monthly basis. One of the main ones in Malaysia is My-Kart, which started in 2002 and has races almost every month. Drivers can compete in the rental karts or in some categories they are allowed to use their own karts. The cost to take part is low.

    You should use your own judgement if a non-sanctioned karting series follows adequate safety procedures, and that you are comfortable with the way they organise their races. Sanctioned events have to abide by safety guidelines such as having an ambulance and doctor on-site during race events and with a racing license you have a certain amount of insurance coverage in case of injury.

    Buying a Kart

    The first decision you have to make when buying a kart is what series and category you plan to race in. If you are new to the sport it’s generally a good idea to save the money and buy used. You can get a good deal on karts just a year or two old – about 50% off the price of a new kart+engine. You do have to look around though – go to a race and ask if they have any karts for sale. Buying a kart that is 4+ years old isn’t generally a good idea because there are so many newer karts available at good prices, but it all depends on your budget and intentions.

    Safety Gear

    You can save money by buying the correct safety gear to start with. The 2 most important parts you have to consider are the suit and helmet. They both need to meet certain standards or you aren’t allowed to race in sanctioned race events.

    Your helmet has to meet the certification requirements as set by CIK-FIA. It should be a karting or car specific helmet. Motorbike helmets are not allowed.

    The specific standards your helmet has to be certified by:

    For Drivers under 15 years old:

    • Snell-FIA CMH (Snell-FIA CMS2007 and Snell-FIA CMR2007),

    For Drivers over 15 years old:

    • Snell Foundation K98, SA2000, K2005, SA2005, K2010 and SA2010 (USA),
    • British Standards Institution A-type and A/FR-type BS6658-85, including any amendments (GBR),
    • FIA 8860-2004 (FRA)
    • SFI Foundation Inc., Spec. SFI 31.1A and 31.2A (USA),
    • Snell-FIA CMH (Snell-FIA CMS2007 and Snell-FIA CMR2007).
    The helmet certification is typically found on a sticker/patch on the inside of the helmet.
    Your suit has to be homologated by the CIK-FIA. The full list of suits is on You should get a level 2 suit (they’re not much more expensive than level 1 suits, so you may as well get the higher quality suit). The main thing to look at for is that you don’t buy a car racing suit. They have an FIA certification but aren’t suitable for karting use.


    The two main tracks used for racing in Malaysia are Speedway PLUS and Sepang International Karting Circuit. All the main karting teams and kart shops are within an hour of either of these tracks. The Shah Alam Stadium Karting Circuit is very popular in the non-sanctioned race series’ and for rental karting.

    The Rotax Max Challenge series visits Pekan once a year, but the track isn’t used actively for race karting other than that.

    For a full list of karting tracks visit the Malaysia section of the track database.

    Almost all tracks will have rental karts that you can try, and if you have your own track you need to pay a track fee which is typically about RM100 per day.

    Getting Your Racing License

    In most countries there is no requirement to get a racing license to be able to start practicing on the track – so you can have your own kart and get a lot of experience before having a license. You only need a license to race in events such as the Rotax Max Challenge.

    The guide below is for karters in Malaysia. For those in other countries the procedures is similar but will vary. You have to get in touch with your local Motorsports authority, below are the websites for different countries:

    You can also view the full list of FIA member associations with contact details on the FIA websiteHERE.

    Please note that typically you will not be able to race outside your country during your first year – you will have to work towards getting a CIK International ‘C’ license which will take at least 1 year first on a ‘Novice’ or ‘National’ license.

    Race karting events in Malaysia are sanctioned by AAM (Automobile Association of Malaysia).

    Getting a Racing License in Malaysia

    STEP 1 – Go for your Medical Check-Up

    You won’t be able to get a competition license before you go for a medical checkup. The medical checkup includes simple procedures such as a color blindness test and blood pressure measurements. The entire checkup should only take about 30mins. You will also get the necessary AAM license application forms from the clinic. (you must use the forms from the clinic, you can’t use forms you have printed yourself)

    The medical checkup has to be done at one of the AAM approved panel clinics listed on their websitehere. You will also get all the necessary forms at the clinic to get your license application completed. The cost of a medical checkup is typically about RM40. For karters above the age of 50 the medical checkup is a bit more expensive and exhaustive as you also have to undergo a stress test.

    STEP 2 – Join an AAM-affiliated club

    To obtain a racing license you must be a member of an AAM-affiliated club. We recommend you join Kelab Kart Selangor (email, which is currently the club appointed to organise the RMC events.  You should get a receipt once you’ve paid for your yearly membership.

    STEP 3 – Submit Documents to AAM

    The documents required to apply for a competition license:

    • Copy of Identity Card/Passport
    • Copy of AAM Affiliated Club Membership or Official Receipt
    • 2 Passport size Photographs
    • Application form which you obtained at the medical checkup.
    • For applicants under 18 years of age, an AAM Form ‘A’ is required.

    AAM Address:
    G226 Block 4, No 7 Persiaran Sukan,
    Laman Seri Business Park,
    Section 13
    40000 Shah Alam,

    Tel: 03-5510 4679
    Fax: 03-5511 3426

    Office Hours:
    Mon-Fri: 9am-5pm
    Sat: 9am-1pm

    GPS Location: 3.092188, 101.543565 (click for google maps)

    The entire license application procedure can be done in 1 day. Then you just have to wait about a week for your license to be ready.


    Permanent link to this article: